Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Summons

It was the knock on the door to my apartment I didn't want to answer. It came about 7:00 PM.

I looked through the peephole and saw the last person I didn't want to see. It was one of the deputies of the county sheriff's office. I opened the door.

He asked for my name. I said something about not wishing to have to meet him under these circumstances, but I did answer affirmatively.

He handed me the document I have been dreading to receive. I did thank him for doing his job.

The eviction hearing is April 10 at 1:30 PM.

You don't want to have the knot in my stomach I have. You don't want to have the red eyes I have, fighting back tears. You don't want to have the feelings of helplessness and powerlessness I have, knowing you have nothing to combat this.

How do you render unto Caesar when you have nothing to render?

How do you ask for mercy when you are unworthy of it?

How do you keep your faith when you feel abandoned?

No comments: