Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Lenten Levity

I know I haven't been a bundle of joy lately. I now interupt your Lenten disciplines to bring you this message:
At her father's wake, a woman told her priest ever since she was a child, she and her father had discussed life after death. They had agreed that whoever went first would contact the other. They had discussed this again just two weeks before his death.

He died in her home. A few days after the wake, the smoke alarm in her garage sounded. She had lived there 28 years and it had never gone off before. She couldn't turn it off, so she called the security company that installed it.

The next morning the smoke alarm sounded again; and the reason finally dawned on her. She said aloud, "OK, Dad, I missed the signal yesterday; but, I get it now! Thanks for letting me know you are safe on the other side. Now, turn the thing off so I don't have to call the security company again." And it turned off.

She immediately called her priest to tell him the good news. His response was, "Dear lady, when your father sends you a message, he sets off the smoke alarm. From where do you think he's calling?"

No comments: