Saturday, November 26, 2005

Candle Time

Happy New Liturgical Year!

My Advent wreath, a wrought iron candle holder with four glass containers, is out. The candles are in place. And this short ceremony was used to begin my preparation.

ADVENT WREATH - SHORTER RITE
(While making the sign of cross.)
My help is in the name of the Lord.
Who made heaven and earth.

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
Upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shone.
You have brought them abundant joy and great rejoicing,
As they rejoice before you as at the harvest, as men make merry when dividing spoils.
For a child is born to us, a son is given us; upon his shoulder dominion rests.
They name him Wonder-Counselor, God-Hero, Father-Forever, Prince of Peace.
His dominion is vast and forever peaceful,
From David's throne, and over his kingdom, which he confirms and sustains
By judgment and justice, both now and forever.
(Isaiah 9:1-2, 5-6a)

Lord my God, I praise You for Your Son, Jesus Christ: He is Emmanuel, the hope of the peoples, He is the wisdom that teaches and guides me, He is the Savior of every nation.

Lord God, let your blessing come upon us me as I light the candles of this wreath. May the wreath and its light be a sign of Christ's promise to bring me salvation. May He come quickly and not delay.

I ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

(Rite found at the website of EWTN.)

No comments: