Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Lackings

As I am sure you have noticed, lots of entries since Christmas have been lacking in substance. (Or perhaps all of them?) I think I have stumbled against a problem newbies like me have.

Every since I read this, I have to admit my interest has been waning as well. And I have much more pressing issues than spending the time in front of a keyboard. The last thing I have ever wanted this to be is a boring chore, which it seem it has become right now.

I am still working on answering this question. This 'blog just doesn't have a theme. In more ways than one, posts have been more "off the top of my head". Very little rhyme, almost no reason.

That is why I asked not to be nominated in my last post. I wish to be doing quality work; right now, I am not. While there will always be some parallel posting (meaning someone else is commenting on the same theme/idea/story), I need to work at not being a "copycat" and develop some originality.

Here I have to be careful. Desiderata says it perfectly, "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself." I cannot compete with the likes of Mark Shea, Amy Welborn, Jimmy Akin, and the others who make a living as a professional writer. People to admire, aspire, and emulate--yes. I also have to remember they have been at their craft for a long, long time.

Which gets back to the first rule of writing: write about what you know. Which means bring your interests into the mix. Which means get interested in life. And it is, if you allow oneself to be child-like rather than childish.

So, like a runner hitting the proverbial "wall", here's hoping I can regain my breath and stride.

No comments: