Monday, April 17, 2006

Half A Loaf

Right now, part of something is better than all of nothing.

I started a part-time job today. There is a small convenience store a couple of blocks away from where I live, one which I frequently patronize. The manager told me he was looking to hire a couple of weeks ago, so I filled an application. Last week, a brief interview was more about how to work around my other obligations; the job was mine for the taking. Last Friday, I did.

The hours will be catch as catch can; there is no guarantee of full-time work. The job is not that hard: run the cash register, keep the store clean and stocked, do the tasks assigned. It still gives me the opportunity to look for something full-time. All the manager wants me to do is let him know if I find something which would require me resigning. I appreciate the hand he is giving me. Thanks to St. Anthony for his help.

So, for now, a couple of hours of training on the register for a few days; then, I fill in wherever I can.

I will find a way to make this work. Meanwhile, the job search continues, albeit on a limited basis.

No comments: