Friday, July 05, 2024

Beddian Platinum Nativity

A person celebrates their "Golden Birthday" when their age matches their day of birth. They celebrate their "Platinum Birthday" when their age matches the last two digits of their birth year. There is also something known as a "Beddian Birthday" Similar to a "Platinum Birthday", it also is when your age corresponds to your birth year, a phenomena noticed by a New York City firefighter named Bobby Beddia on his 53rd. birthday.

I had my "Golden Birthday" a long time ago. I get to celebrate the other two today. And after what happened to me last year, I really do have a reason to celebrate.

I have become more grateful with each passing natal day; especially this one. I thank God once again for granting me the gift of life:  to live, move, and have being. With stable housing and employment, I am in a far better place than I was. There is still much more damage to my psyche to repair; to that end, I have been seeing a mental health professional about once a month since March. In those few sessions an excellent foundation is being prepared to address a lot of personal issues.

I have also seemed to have grown just a bit more spiritually over the past twelve months. A return to the Sacrament of the Eucharist has been the cornerstone of that improvement. My prayer life has a little more routine, focus, and commitment. The work now is to notice the graces I am being given and use them.

Aging is not optional; maturing, however, shouldn't be. All the quotes along the lines of "you're not getting older; your getting better" are applicable. Especially the one about being patient with me, as God is not finished with me yet. That day will come; I pray I will be truly ready for it.

In the meantime, "... I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep."

Once again, "Come, grow old with me. The best is yet to be."

God willing, I hope to tell you all about it on my next birthday.

No comments: