Friday, December 31, 2021

Same Things, Different Year

Just a few hours left in 2021.

In some ways, it looked a lot like 2020.

The COVID-19 pandemic still was the overarching story, as both the virus and the narrative continued to show variety. Until this disease goes away, this saga won't. And any associated drama and tension which this blankets, in terms of social and political activities, is going to hover below the surface, occasionally coming up for air. Heaven help us when these hells breaks loose. (And they will.)

Yet there are signs of recovery, however hindered by the threat of rising inflation or infection rates. However, just when people think they are going to turn the corner, even every so slightly, they realize they are in a roundabout. It is this awkward waltz of two steps forward, one back.

I did OK the past year. Physically, I still haven't encountered this menace. (Full disclosure--I am fully vaccinated and thinking about a booster.) My finances made a bit of a rebound as well. A small raise last year as a crossing guard took full effect as schools returned to five days in-person. And at the local amusement park, I picked up additional hours performing duties in hiring personnel as well as my duties in the park, as it was open as close to there normal hours this season. It all added up. For the first time since 2004, my total income for the year was a five-digit figure. Granted, that first figure is a one, but it is a victory on the economic front for me.

The park, on the other hand, had to suffer a couple of heartbreaks, both of which happened in the past five months. In August, this happened. I was there; I didn't see it happen, but I was about 50-60 feet away from where he landed. (Please say a prayer for the repose of his soul; I have a few times.) And just before Christmas, this happened. (Just another example of gains and losses.)

It was also a bit of a tease when it came to seeking full-time employment, especially when it came to jobs within the Church. Four positions involving liturgy and/or music (including one at the parish where I got my start as a church musician) got at least to the interview stage. Alas, none of them yielded any further consideration. But despite the fact of where I am in my life, I am still hopeful of landing something. I know what I have to overcome.

So, there you have it. The status quo is still status quo, ever so slightly trending up. Opportunities are going to present themselves in 2022. I still have to remind myself to "Go Forward; Be Bold." But all in all, there is a sense of eagerness and anticipation about the next twelve month.

I hope to see improvement.

I hope for blessings from God like never before.

I hope you continue to share my journey.

No comments: