Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Cantate Domino

On this day of the Feast of St. Cecilia, Virgin and Martyr, patron saint of musician, I was looking for inspiration on what to write about her or the art.

The Holy Spirit obliged.

Along the lines of quotes about music which I did back in 2005, 2006, and 2007, below are some Bible verses (Douay-Rheims version) which have the word "sing." (The search engine found 89.) Most of them, as you would expect, are found in the Psalms.

I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing to thy name, O thou most high.
Psalm 9:3

Sing to him a new canticle, sing well unto him with a loud noise.
Psalm 32:3

Sing praises to our God, sing ye: sing praises to our king, sing ye.
Psalm 46:7

For God is the king of all the earth: sing ye wisely.
Psalm 46:8

Sing to God, ye kingdoms of the earth: sing ye to the Lord: Sing ye to God.
Psalm 67:33

It is good to give praise to the Lord: and to sing to thy name, O most High.
Psalm 91:2

Come let us praise the Lord with joy: let us joyfully sing to God our saviour.
Psalm 94:1

Sing joyfully to God, all the earth: serve ye the Lord with gladness. Come in before his presence with exceeding great joy.
Psalm 99:2

I will sing to the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
Psalm 103:33

And let them sing in the ways of the Lord: for great is the glory of the Lord.
Psalm 137:5

Sing praise, and rejoice, O daughter of Sion: for behold I come, and I will dwell in the midst of thee: saith the Lord.
Zachariah 2:10

Is any of you sad? Let him pray. Is he cheerful in mind? Let him sing.
James 5:13

Plenty of inspiration, both spiritually and musically.

Let those who pursue this art keep these things in mind.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.

No comments: