Sunday, March 20, 2016

Those "Words" Again

As we enter into Holy Week, I once again present my meditations on the "Seven Last Words", the statements Jesus uttered as He hung upon the Cross as recorded in the Gospels. The posts will appear every day at 3:00 PM (my local time), the "Hour of His Glory".

They are traditionally a powerful source of inspiration for sermons at this time of the year. I am sure there are more than a few saints who expounded upon them much more capably than I ever could or will. They are even a source of inspiration for composers, whose musically settings accompany Tenebrae services far and wide. I have never sought to compete with such worthy musings: my only hope is they are a starting point for your own meditation and contemplation.

As it is with my reflections on the "O" Antiphons at the last of Advent, it is my gift to you as we enter in the Church's High Holy Day, where the mystery of our redemption is on full display for the world to see, just as it was some two millennium ago.

May you find them fruitful.

No comments: