Wednesday, February 10, 2016

PM: Tract Wednesday--1st. Sunday Of Lent

He who abides in the shelter of the Most High, shall remain under the protection of the Lord of Heaven.
V. He shall say to the Lord: "You are my protector and my refuge;" my God, in whom I trust.
V. For he has set me free from the snare of the fowler, and from cutting words.
V. He will conceal you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge.
V. His faithfulness will shield you as with a buckler, you will not suffer the terrors of the night:
V. You shall fear neither the arrow that flies by day, nor the conspiracy that stalks in the darkness, nor destruction, nor the demon of noonday.
V. A thousand will fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right, but you shall remain unharmed. 
V. For to his Angels he has given a commandment concerning you, to keep you in all your ways.
V. In their hands they will bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.
V. On the asp and the basilisk you will tread and trample the lion and the dragon.
V. Because he has put his hope in me I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name.
V. He shall call out to me, and I shall answer him: I am with him in tribulation.
V. I will rescue him and honor him; with long days will I satisfy him; and I shall let him see my saving power. 
Ps. 90:1-7; 11-16
During Lent, the Alleluia is replaced with what is known as the Tract. The purpose is the same:  to prepare the congregation to hear the Gospel. On this first Sunday in this penitential season, the message is one of the compassion and care of God of those who seek Him of those who turn from sin and seek His mercy and love.

The length of this will be uncomfortable to a modern-day congregation, who are rather accustomed to a minimalistic approach to liturgy. (And is one of a few Propers during Lent which are longer than the usual one or two verses.) But would not listening to this in its entirety, meditating on the words of a good translation while hearing this melody, be a way to awaken your soul to the reality of God's providence and stir up hope and trust in Him (as well as contrition for your sinfulness), He Who has counted all the hairs on your head and find you infinitely more valuable than a fallen sparrow, which is also under His care?

No comments: