Sunday, January 03, 2010

Working Vacation

In my own small way, I am part of the "reform of the Reform". With my educational background in music (both at the undergraduate and graduate levels), I want to hear meaningful and worthy song in liturgy. This, at times, has put me at odds with some of my lay colleagues at a local level in terms of taste and appropriateness; but, not being in any kind of leadership position, I have had to "go along to get along". I can say I am very pleased with what we attempt to do at St. Olaf, as the music director and I are of the same general mindset.

But, as the saying goes, I have to be the change I want to see. To that end, I will be here. While I have had a minimum amount of exposure to chant, this will be an wonderful opportunity to learn more. I wrestled with the decision of whether or not to go, but I opted to take advantage of the opportunity. (The only drawback is I am taking "red eyes" through Denver and Atlanta to get there.)

A fedora doff to Anastasia Crosswell, who posted this on her Facebook page. As this is in her backyard, hopefully we will be able to meet each other in person.

Back late Saturday night. Time to me to fly.

No comments: