Monday, December 17, 2018

In The "Coming" Week

The winter solstice falls this year on December 21. We are in the last days of decreasing daylight in the Northern Hemisphere. The yearning for light becomes more pronounced.

That yearning finds its fulfillment in the Light of the World. That yearning finds its most exquisite expression in the "O" Antiphons, the petitions which proceed the Marian canticle during Vespers/Evening Prayer the next seven days and are also used as the Gospel Acclimation during Mass in the Ordinary Form during this time. They are, in as sense the embodiment of St. John the Baptist, who as herald and forerunner to Jesus, pointed the way to the Messiah while his position dwindled--"He must increase; I must decrease." (John 3:30)

Once again I present my posts on these signposts which lead to the Christ Child. Along with my most modest meditations, I include those from Fr. John Zuhlsdorf and Fr. Mark Kirby, OSB, the main courses to my appetizers. Perhaps the most popular presentations from this infinitesimal corner of the universe, I consider these a final (and, hopefully, useful) part of your final preparations during Advent.

Look for them later today, when the darkness had overcome us.

Then look for Him, "[T]he light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:5)

No comments: