Thursday, July 05, 2018

A Death-Defying Age

Today is a rather important day in my life.

That's right--I had to get my driver's license renewed.

Besides that task, nothing else matters. Because without this day, nothing could matter.

(Besides having a fraternal twin brother, I also share today's good wishes with another pair of twins, fraternal male cousins who are identical, and a gentleman whom I've met through our association with the Church Music Association of America.)

But this particular birthday holds a significant milestone. As you may recall, my father only lived 56 years and 256 days. The count down now truly begins to see if I "outlive" him. If my calculations are correct, that 257th. day will be March 19, 2019, the feast day of St. Joseph, the patron of a happy death. It would be five days short of what would have been his 84th. birthday. (Thank you, Emily Dickinson.)

(And, yes, I still miss him. Requiescat in pace.)

Every expereince is an opportunity to seek and find God in all things.  Every breath is a moment to be in communion with He Who Is, Who Was, and Who Is To Come. Every heart beat is a way to be in unison with the One Who created, redeemed, and sanctified me. Every day is a chance to "Go Forward". So for the next twelve months, I will continue to learn in earnest to count my blessings, especially the one of just existing.

Each day should be a gift.

After all, isn't is why it's call the present?

No comments: