Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Decade Of "Words"

In 2006, as a parallel to the meditations on the "O" Antiphons, I wrote a series of meditations on the "Seven Last Words", the sentences Jesus spoke as He hung on the cross during His passion. Unlike my Advent offerings, save for the addition of art work (and a change in title for the last one), my Holy Week offerings have not been edited from their original form. Like those thoughts before Christmas, however, I once again re-post them as we prepare for Easter.

I am sure others have written on them with much more theological insight and depth. I am also sure others have written on them with much more elegance and eloquence. I know they have been the inspiration for musical works; in fact Franz Joseph Haydn composed a piece on this subject near the beginning of his career and re-worked it near the end. I can only hope what you read can be the inspiration for your contemplation of His "hour".

Be at Calvary later today and throughout the week.

Listen with your ears and heart.

Love speaks volumes in only seven "words".

No comments: