Thursday, January 22, 2015

As Time (Pro-Life) Marches On

A list of the "Marches For Life" that have, are, or will be taking place around the country this year (including, of course, the one which started it all).

A recap of the number of abortion clinics closed in 2013 (and wondering how many more will have the same fate).

Fading in memory (as evil should) but still a catalyst for continuing the work.

State legislatures proposing and enacting more pro-life legislation.

It seems the pro-life movement has gained considerable ground the past two years.

All well and good.

But (and I hope somewhere, someone else may have this thought)...

Is the pro-life movement just "treating the symptoms" or are they looking "for the cure"?

I ask not in a cynical manner. I ask not as a weary observer of the biggest cultural fight in this country since slavery. I ask because I want to know if this is the way this issue is going to be settled for the time being.

Forty-two years ago this day, both by a 7-2 vote, the United States Supreme Court decided in the cases of Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton that abortion will be legal throughout this country and framed their rulings in a way that do not allow for any restrictions to this so-called Constitutional right.

56,000,000+ abortions later, this great moral tug-of-war is still being contested.

It's being contested because the pro-(poor-)choice contingent makes this an issue based on emotions, a subjective stance which cannot be argued. They don't care about reasoned and rational conclusions like this. They don't even care about being rational.

They want, and for the moment have gotten, their way.

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

I have faith this issue will be settled in my lifetime. I have hope the right to life will be victorious. And while the only thing I can do right now is pray (and, spiritually, I know I can do more), I do stand with the pro-life movement.

I just can't be in 89 places at the same time.

No comments: