Thursday, May 31, 2007

Closing Time

About 20 minutes ago I just returned from my last shift at the convenience store. Although we normally close at midnight, the past two nights have seen the doors locked at 11:00 PM.

As much as we got business by word of mouth, people were still surprised to discover we were going out of business. There were a few last minute customers tonight, which delayed only slightly the inevitable.

I spent the last nine days with closing responsibilities. Long nights with little to do at times. Marking time. Sometimes it seems like a death watch.

As a small token of the owner's appreciation, I was able to take home about $40 worth of groceries for free. It will come in handy.

Somewhat sad right now. Reality gently tapped me on the shoulder as I was working.

Once again, I join the ranks of the unemployed.

A new trial begins.

Definitely walking by faith and not by sight.

No comments: