Monday, June 25, 2012

A Voice Of Singing

I am back from the opening events of Colloquium XXII, the Church Music Association of America's celebration of sacred music.  This is my second time at this event, having been to Pittsburgh two years ago in the middle of catching "chant fever".  I have remade acquaintances with a few people whom I have met over the two-and-one-half years I have been involved with this organization and am looking forward to meeting many more new people.

This is fondly known as "seven days of musical heaven".  For the next week, participants will be immersed in celebrations of the Mass in both forms, chanted Morning and Night Prayers, and a Vespers service according to the Extraordinary Form.  In between there will be plenty of rehearsals and workshops on various aspects of the music that is sung and/or played.  The goal is to expose people to the ideals and possibilities of what their own local liturgies can become.

The Cathedral of the Madeline and the Madeline Choir School are the hosts for this event, the first time in its history it has been held west of the Mississippi River.  I believe everybody is looking forward to all the liturgies at the Cathedral, given its beautiful architecture and acoustics.  I'm just glad it's being held in my "back yard"; I will be taking the bus to get there.

Speaking of which, it's time to call it a night.  In order to get there on time, the bus rolls by at 7:06 AM.

No comments: