A Dying Finalized
The website Blogs For Terri memorializes.
Because that is all we have going for us.
How goes the campaigne, General?I will be honest. I didn't know what to expect. Despite having broken into the top 10,000 in the TTLB ranking system before this started, this is a very humble 'blog. There have been a few decent posts, but the efforts here have been modest. I know I have a few fans out there, but traffic has only averaged about 20 visitors a day. My amazement and surprise to the response of the 'blogosphere leaves me appropriately silent.
I finished a parish mission last night and the subject of generosity was featured prominently. I have sent a few bucks via PayPal.Indeed. He has.
What makes this really satisfying for me is that I can't afford it. And that makes it all the more special. The priest conducting the mission reminded us about giving to Christ through others and the measure being measured back.
Trust me buddy, you are not alone. I lost my job almost 4 years ago. I had been trying to get some online marketing efforts off the ground but it has been a real roller coaster ride. I finally caved in and started looking for a job. I am an advertising exec by trade.
Guess what. There is not too much demand for ad execs over 50. Especially in a relatively rural region like mine.
I have a wife and 3 kids, a hefty mortgage, two cars that are each bordering on a catostrophic mechanical illness, Catholic school tuition, a revenue stream that has slowed to a trickle and a couple of opportunities that seem like million to one shots to pan out.
The interesting thing is that I have grown in my faith and in spiritual maturity more during this time than I ever thought possible. I am convinced, beyond all reason, that things will work out. I have always expected the worst and hoped for the best. Not any more. I am nervous and uncomfortable and confused and disappointed but in my heart-of-hearts I sense that somehow, someway, at some point, everything will be OK.
More than money I offer you my prayers. I pray that you will proceed patiently with confidence in God.
So from one faith-filled financially challenged individual to another, I say "God will provide."
1. QUIT WORRYING: Life has dealt you a blow and all you do is sit and worry. Have you forgotten that I am here to take all your burdens and carry them for you? Or do you just enjoy fretting over every little thing that comes your way?Touch someone with your love. Rather than focus upon the thorns of life, smell the roses and count your blessings!
2. PUT IT ON THE LIST: Something needs done or taken care of. Put it on the list. No, not YOUR list. Put it on MY to-do-list. Let ME be the one to take care of the problem. I can't help you until you turn it over to Me. And although My to-do-list is long, I am after all God. I can take care of anything you put into My hands. In fact, if the truth were ever really known, I take care of a lot of things for you that you never even realize.
3. TRUST ME: Once you've given your burdens to Me, quit trying to take them back. Trust in Me. Have the faith that I will take care of all your needs, your problems and your trials. Problems with the kids? Put them on My list. Problem with finances? Put it on My list. Problems with your emotional roller coaster? For My sake, put it on My list. I want to help you. All you have to do is ask.
4. LEAVE IT ALONE: Don't wake up one morning and say, "Well, I'm feeling much stronger now; I think I can handle it from here." Why do you think you are feeling stronger now? It's simple. You gave Me your burdens and I'm taking care of them. I also renew your strength and cover you in my peace. Don't you know that if I give you these problems back, you will be right back where you started? Leave them with Me and forget about them. Just let Me do My job.
5. TALK TO ME: I want you to forget a lot of things. Forget what was making you crazy. Forget the worry and the fretting because you know I'm in control. But there's one thing I pray you never forget. Please, don't forget to talk to Me -- OFTEN! I love YOU! I want to hear your voice. I want you to include Me in the things going on in your life. I want to hear you talk about your friends and family. Prayer is simply you having a conversation with Me. I want to be your dearest friend.
6. HAVE FAITH: I see a lot of things from up here that you can't see from where you are. Have faith in Me that I know what I'm doing. Trust Me; you wouldn't want the view from My eyes. I will continue to care for you, watch over you, and meet your needs. You only have to trust Me. Although I have a much bigger task than you, it seems as if you have so much trouble just doing your simple part. How hard can trust be?
7. SHARE: You were taught to share when you were only two years old. When did you forget? That rule still applies. Share with those who are less fortunate than you. Share your joy with those who need encouragement. Share your laughter with those who haven't heard any in such a long time. Share your tears with those who have forgotten how to cry. Share your faith with those who have none.
8. BE PATIENT: I managed to fix it so in just one lifetime you could have so many diverse experiences. You grow from a child to an adult, have children, change jobs many times, learn many trades, travel to so many places, meet thousands of people, and experience so much. How can you be so impatient then when it takes Me a little longer than you expect to handle something on My to-do-list? Trust in My timing, for My timing is perfect. Just because I created the entire universe in only six days, everyone thinks I should always rush, rush, rush.
9. BE KIND: Be kind to others, for I love them just as much as I love you. They may not dress like you, or talk like you, or live the same way you do, but I still love you all. Please try to get along, for My sake. I created each of you different in some way. It would be too boring if you were all identical. Please, know I love each of your differences.
10. LOVE YOURSELF: As much as I love you, how can you not love yourself? You were created by me for one reason only -- to be loved, and to love in return. I am a God of Love. Love Me. Love your neighbors. But also love yourself. It makes My heart ache when I see you so angry with yourself when things go wrong. You are very precious to me. Don't ever forget.
1. Angel Food CakeNo changing your mind once you decide, so think carefully what your choice will be.
3. Lemon Meringue Pie
4. Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Icing
5. Strawberry Short Cake
6. Chocolate Icing on Chocolate Cake
7. Ice Cream
8. Carrot Cake
ANGEL FOOD CAKE--Sweet, loving, cuddly. You love all warm and fuzzy items. A little nutty at times. Sometimes you need an ice cream cone at the end of the day. Others perceive you as being childlike and immature at times.Let me know who you are; leave a reply in the comment box.
BROWNIES--You are adventurous, love new ideas, are a champion of underdogs and a slayer of dragons. When tempers flare up, you whip out your saber. You are always the oddball with a unique sense of humor and direction. You tend to be very loyal.
LEMON MERINGUE--Smooth, sexy, artistic, and articulate with your hands, you are an excellent listener and a good teacher. You can appear to have a cold exterior but are very warm on the inside. Sometimes a dreamer but very grounded in real life.
VANILLA CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE ICING--Fun loving, sassy, humorous. Not very grounded in life; very indecisive and lack motivation. Everyone enjoys being around you. You are a practical joker. Others should be cautious in making you mad. However, you are a friend for life.
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE--Romantic, warm, loving. You care about other people and can be counted on in a pinch. You also tend to melt. You can be overly emotional at times. And sometimes you can be annoying.
CHOCOLATE ON CHOCOLATE--Sexy; always ready to give and receive. Very adventurous, ambitious, and passionate. A bit of a diva at times, but you have many good friends. Not afraid to take chances. Will not settle for anything average in life. Love to laugh.
ICE CREAM--You like sports, whether it be baseball, football, basketball, or soccer. If you could, you would like to participate, but you enjoy watching sports. You don't like to give up the remote control. You tend to be self centered and high maintenance.
CARROT CAKE--You are a very fun loving person who likes to laugh. You are fun to be with. People like to hang out with you. You are a very warm hearted person and a little quirky at times. You have many loyal friends.
|Ronald took the free ColorQuiz.com personality test!|
"Considers the existing circumstances disagreeable ..."
Glorious St. Joseph, model of all who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work in the spirit of penance in expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously by placing love of duty above my inclinations; to gratefully and joyously deem it an honor to employ and to develop by labor the gifts I have received from God, to work methodically, peacefully, and in moderation and patience, without ever shrinking from it through weariness or difficulty to work; above all, with purity of intention and unselfishness, having unceasingly before my eyes death and the account I have to render of time lost, talents unused, good not done, and vain complacency in success, so baneful to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all to imitate thee, O patriarch St. Joseph! This shall be my motto for life and eternity.
O meek Savior and Prince of Peace, implant in me the virtues of gentleness and patience. Let me curb the fury of anger and restrain all resentment and impatience, so as to overcome evil with good, attain your peace, and rejoice in your love."Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner."
O Model of humility, divest me of all pride and arrogance. Let me acknowledge my weakness and sinfulness, so that I may bear mockery and contempt for your sake and esteem myself as lowly in your sight.
O Teacher of abstinence, help me to serve you rather than our appetites. Keep me from gluttony - the inordinate love of food and drink - and let me hunger and thirst for your justice…
O Lover of purity, remove all lust from my heart, so that I may serve you with a pure mind and a chaste body.
O Father of the poor, help me to avoid all covetousness for earthly goods and give me a love for heavenly things. Inspire me to give to the needy, just as you gave your life that I might inherit eternal treasures.
O Exemplar of love, keep me from all envy and ill-will. Let the grace of your love dwell in me that I may rejoice in the happiness of others and bewail their adversities.
O zealous Lover of souls, keep me from all sloth of mind or body. Inspire me with zeal for your glory, so that I may do all things for you and in you.
...I would like to define what I mean by "the world." As I am using the term here, the world embraces all created reality, except persons....The biblical imperative is quite clear: We must love persons and use things. Jesus warns us that wherever our treasures are, there will also be our hearts. As I hear him, the Lord is saying, "Save your heart for love, and give your love only to persons: to the persons of yourself, your neighbor, and your God. Don't ever give your heart away to a thing....[I]f you give your heart away to a thing, you will soon begin the great inversion of priorities. When you begin to love things, you start to use persons to get those things, to get more and more of those things...."That is a very good and short summary of the philosophy of utilitarianism.
Dear Mr. Lugari:I was pleasantly surprised to see who was behind this. (Rick, return to De Civitate Deo, subito!) I found the reply in my e-mail box this morning:
Please accept my humble application as an Amateur Catholic.
I am an amateur because of my non-existant training in liturgy, theology, cathechism, apologetics, and the other disciplines which set the Professional Catholic apart from us.
I am an amateur because I am not a good writer.
I am an amateur because I still am a "practicing" Catholic. I need all the practice I can get.
I am an amateur because I have not learned the Two Great Commandments well enough.
I am an amateur, in the truest sense of the world. For the love of God.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your reply.
It's up, pal. (There was also a brief note of encouragement enclosed.)So, I now am officially an "Amateur Catholic".
At her father's wake, a woman told her priest ever since she was a child, she and her father had discussed life after death. They had agreed that whoever went first would contact the other. They had discussed this again just two weeks before his death.
He died in her home. A few days after the wake, the smoke alarm in her garage sounded. She had lived there 28 years and it had never gone off before. She couldn't turn it off, so she called the security company that installed it.
The next morning the smoke alarm sounded again; and the reason finally dawned on her. She said aloud, "OK, Dad, I missed the signal yesterday; but, I get it now! Thanks for letting me know you are safe on the other side. Now, turn the thing off so I don't have to call the security company again." And it turned off.
She immediately called her priest to tell him the good news. His response was, "Dear lady, when your father sends you a message, he sets off the smoke alarm. From where do you think he's calling?"
Oh, Lord, and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk; but give, rather, the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servants. Yea, Oh Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions and not to judge my brother. For Holy art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen.