Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Meme: OT Birthday Verses

In my last post, I commented on a meme I saw on another 'blog. It's gotten around; I have seen a few posts, including some which take on other books in the Bible.

I did tag Rick Lugari and his lovely bride, Rhonda; however, someone got to him first and she also replied. One of Rick's commentors did his using the Pentateuch.

I'll take up that idea:
Genesis 7:5--Noah did just as the Lord had commanded him.

Exodus 7:5--"...so that the Egyptians may learn that I am the Lord, as I stretch out my hand against Egypt and lead the Israelites out of their midst."

Leviticus 7:5--All this the priest shall burn on the altar as an oblation to the Lord. This is the guilt offering.

Numbers 7:5--So Moses accepted the wagons and oxen, and assigned them to the Levites.

Deuteronomy 7:5--But this is how you must deal with them: Tear down their altars, smash their sacred pillars, chop down their sacred poles, and destroy their idols by fire.

Of course, the military-style version as well:
Genesis 5:7--Seth lived eight hundred and seven years after the birth of Enosh, and he had other sons and daughters.

Exodus 5:7--You shall no longer supply the people with straw for their brickmaking as you have previously done. Let them go and gather straw themselves!

Leviticus 5:7--If, however, he cannot afford an animal of the flock, he shall bring to the LORD as the sin offering for his sin two turtledoves or two pigeons, one for a sin offering and the other for a holocaust.

Numbers 5:7--...he shall confess the wrong he has done, restore his ill-gotten goods in full, and in addition give one fifth of their value to the one he has wronged.

Deuteronomy 5:7--You shall not have other gods besides me.

Once again, a few verses stand on their own. Once gain, this becomes a good point of departure for reflection and meditation on the entire context.

Yes, this ends the lessons on Scripture. No, I won't tag anybody with this version.

No comments: